This is a delicious side dish, the perfect accompaniment for BBQ food and summer veggies. You can add any fresh herbs you have handy, no need to stay with parsley!
- 1 cup of lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 tomato, diced
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley
1.Rinse the lentils in cold water.
2. Simmer the lentils until they are almost tender but still have a little 'bite' (about 15 minutes). Drain the lentils.
3. In a skillet, heat the olive oil and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the carrot and fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the rice and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring. The rice will become opaque.
5. Add the cooked lentils, followed by the tomatoes and 2 cups of water.
6. Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer on a very low heat for about 20 minutes.
7. When the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, remove from the heat.
8. Fluff with a fork, add pepper to taste and sprinkle with fresh parsley.