This is a great recipe for vegan lentil soup
I have a lot of mint growing in a tub on my deck and this is a great way to use some of this lovely fresh herb before summer is over.
This soup is quite spicy, although the yogurt cools it down somewhat. If you’d like a less spicy soup, cut the quantities of pepper/cumin by half. This recipe serves six and takes about an hour to make.
Lentils are very nutritious and a good source of dietary fiber, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin C, and Protein.
Ingredients for Lentil Soup
- Tsp vegetable or olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 2 clove garlic diced
- 1” square piece of fresh ginger diced
- ½ Tsp each of cayenne pepper, cumin & paprika
- 10 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 2 small sweet red peppers diced
- 5 cups water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in the water
- ½ cup lentils
- ¼ cup rice
- ¼ bulgur
- 2 Tsp fresh mint finely chopped
- Fresh mint, finely chopped for garnish
- Six tablespoons thick, plain yogurt for serving
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, red pepper, garlic, ginger and spices, fry gently until onion begins to soften.
- Add tomato sauce, water (with stock cubes dissolved in it) lentils, rice, bulgur and mint.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer 30 min or until rice, lentils and bulgur are tender.
- Optional: put soup in blender and pulse until smooth.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh mint, a dollop of yogurt on top of the soup and a slice of crusty bread.