Quinoa is a seed that is prepared like a grain. It's been cultivated and consumed in South America for thousands of years. It is very nutritious, especially high in Manganese, Magnesium and Phosphorus (all important for healthy bones, teeth and cellular health.
This recipe incorporates vegetables, spices, herbs and quinoa into a substantial, filling dish which can be eaten as a side or main dish. It makes four servings.
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- half an onion chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper deseeded & minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with chilis
- Half cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and quinoa and fry gently until onion is tender (keep stirring so the onion is cooked evenly).
- Add the garlic, pepper and spices and fry until the spices are fragrant (a few minutes)
- Add the tomatoes and broth, bring them to a boil, then turn the heat down so the liquid is simmering.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed (25 - 30 minutes).
- Before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Optional: Top with your favorite sprouts.
- Serve immediately, while hot.