Chaat is a dish that originated in Northern India and is now popular throughout South Asia. Chaat is often eaten as a snack, sold by street vendors or as an appetizer in restaurants.
It has a delicious, sweet-spicy flavor and crunchy texture.
For this recipe, choose several different varieties of your favorite sprouted beans, or use any sprout mix that contains mostly beans, for example:
- Springtime Bean Mix
- Three Bean Crunch
- Rainbow Bean Mix
- Sol’s High Power Protein mix
Recipe for chaat made with boiled, sprouted beans
- 3 cups of boiled mixed sprouts
- 2 tbsp sweet chutney (I use a jar of Patak's chutney)
- 2 tsp chaat masala spice mix (recipe below)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
Boil the sprouted beans
Place them in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15- 30 minutes. The smaller beans take less time than the larger ones. The beans may shed their skins and the skins can be included in the recipe (optional) as they are nutritious.
Make the Chaat Masala Spice Mix
Ingredients for chaat masala spice mix
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
Dry roast the seeds, then grind to a powder using an electric blender or chopper. Store in an air-tight container.
Assemble the Mixed Bean Chaat
- Put the boilde sprouted beans in a large bowl
- Add the chutney
- Add the chaat masala spice mix
- Add the pomegranate seeds
- Add the lemon juice
- Mix together
- Sprinkle the fresh coriander on top
This is delicious served with naan, chapati or pita bread, or folded inside a wrap. Add a side salad to make a meal.
Bean mixes are available here Bean Mixes