Make a quick meal with fresh summer veggies!
In September, there's plenty of delicious, fresh produce and this taco recipe is a great way to use them.
Serves four people (two tacos per person)
Takes about 30 minutes total.
- ¼ cup sunflower or other vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced fine
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 2 mild chilis, deseeded and minced fine
- Half cup of fresh herbs such as cilantro, mint, basil, parsley, or oregano chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of vegetarian, feta or Mexican cotija cheese
- Half cup of pickled peppers (from can or jar)
- 1 TSP of ground cumin
- 1 TSP of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups of your favorite sprouts, alfalfa is a good choice (and it's on sale during September 2020)
- In a skillet, heat the sunflower oil
- Add the cumin, red pepper flakes and onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring well
- Add the remaining vegetables, except the tomato. Saute for 15 minutes or until softened.
- Add the tomato and herbs and heat through
- Put the tortillas in the microwave and heat for 5 seconds to soften them
- Pile a portion of the vegetable mix on each tortilla
- Top each taco with a spoonful of pickled peppers and sprinkle with cheese. Top with sprouts or serve them on the side of each taco.
Alfalfa seeds are on sale during September 2020, 25% off. Click here to take a look.