Warm Sprouted Lentil Salad
This dish is a family favorite at our house, it has a delicious flavor and is easy to prepare.
The original recipe calls for smoked tofu. But I am not such a big tofu fan, so I serve this without it. Add it for a protein boost or not.
You'll need to sprout .75 cup of dry lentils to grow about 1.5 cups of sprouted lentils. Start soaking them about 4 days before you plan to make this lentil salad. Lentils sprouts take a few days to sprout, they are ready when they have a white root.
Use red lentils, french lentils or green lentils. Or try our 'Lentils Together Mix'.
- 3 cups (750 ml) vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups (350 g) sprouted French Lentils or any lentils will do, try a mix of them.
- 5 Tbsp olive oil (plus extra for frying)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium leek
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup (200 g) smoked tofu (optional)
- 1 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp capers
- 1 to 2 handfuls fresh parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- Place vegetable broth and lentils in a pan. Cook for around 15 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and the lentils are cooked but still have a bite to them (if the lentils take longer to cook add more liquid). When the lentils are cooked, drain any leftover liquid from the lentils and keep covered.
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a casserole dish. Gently fry together the onion and 2 of the crushed garlic cloves until soft while you cut the vegetables.
- Peel and dice the carrots. Chop the leek finely.
- Add cut vegetables in the casserole dish. Add bay leaves and thyme and cook at medium heat until vegetables are soft. (Add more olive oil if necessary)
- Once the vegetables are soft, add lentils and diced smoked tofu. Mix well.
- Make dressing in a separate bowl by mixing the mustard, 5 Tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar and 1 crushed garlic clove.
- Add dressing to the lentil salad along with the capers and finely chopped parsley leaves. Toss well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
Our organic 'Tasty Lentil Mix' is available here. Lentils for Sprouting
Learn how to grow lentil sprouts in a mason jar here. Mason Jar Sprouting